Today I looked at the University of Utah's Genetics section on their website. The link to this website is http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/tour/.
I looked at the "What is Heredity" and "What is a Trait" sections of this website. I learned many things from it. Two things I learned are that chromosomes are passed down randomly from each parent, and that there are two types of traits- physical and behavioral traits.
As you all know, many parents give their children "the bids and bees" talk. I am not going to go into that but chromosomes are passed down randomly when the father's sperm cell joins together with mother's egg cell. Both parents have two sets of 23 chromosomes, and, in total 46 chromosomes. The child gets 2 sets of randomly selected chromosomes, one from each parent.
The other thing I learned was that there are two types of traits. They are called Physical traits and Behavioral traits. Physical traits are traits that make up your appearance. This includes hair, eye, and skin color as well as height, body shape, and other physical characteristics. Behavioral traits are traits that effect your behavior. For example a sheepdog's herding instinct and a golden retriever's instinct to fetch a ball.
This website is great at making genetics seem less complicated and also, more exciting. It helps with understanding the long, and confusing words.
I looked at the "What is Heredity" and "What is a Trait" sections of this website. I learned many things from it. Two things I learned are that chromosomes are passed down randomly from each parent, and that there are two types of traits- physical and behavioral traits.
As you all know, many parents give their children "the bids and bees" talk. I am not going to go into that but chromosomes are passed down randomly when the father's sperm cell joins together with mother's egg cell. Both parents have two sets of 23 chromosomes, and, in total 46 chromosomes. The child gets 2 sets of randomly selected chromosomes, one from each parent.
The other thing I learned was that there are two types of traits. They are called Physical traits and Behavioral traits. Physical traits are traits that make up your appearance. This includes hair, eye, and skin color as well as height, body shape, and other physical characteristics. Behavioral traits are traits that effect your behavior. For example a sheepdog's herding instinct and a golden retriever's instinct to fetch a ball.
This website is great at making genetics seem less complicated and also, more exciting. It helps with understanding the long, and confusing words.
No comments:
Post a Comment